Thursday, March 16, 2006

Life's a Garden.....

A wise man, Joe Dirt, once said “Life’s a garden, dig it.” Each day, even with the pain that I am in, is a gift. I just wish that I could get some others to realize that. Ya, you say that you do, but I question some people’s true commitment to the concept.

I had a conversation the other day with a co-worker about taking each day as a gift. He got it, heck he helped me to realize it after reading an old email just after the accident. He had come to understand the concept after his son was taken far too soon from our world. We both talked about how important the notion really is. Sunday, I talked to another friend on the phone that is having some medical issues. He’s been battling cancer for eight years now. It’s been a back and forth ordeal the whole time, and just when he thinks he is out of the woods it pulls him back in. I remember when I first met him I was so impressed with his kindness and zest for life. Nothing seemed to get under this guy’s skin, but I didn’t totally understand why. When I learned about his background, all of the pieces fell into place. I realized that what he had been though had caused him to understand that each day is a gift. Even though I understood why he had the attitude that he did, I was still not fully able to appreciate it until January 13th.

Perhaps it will take an event like we have been through, but I would hope that you would just take our word for it, but I know that is being naïve. I guess though, that even if just one of the people that I can influence truly understands this, beyond just saying that they do, it will be a difference.

Just do me a favor, stop and ask yourself if you really get the idea. Then ask yourself what you have done to prove it lately. And if you have to ask how you prove it, you really don’t get it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Life's a garden, dig it." - I thought that was George Carlin... or was it Tommy Chong?

I'm dating myself. And perhaps indulging in a bit of self character assisination.

I go now.

Hang tough.

5:06 PM, April 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home