Monday, February 13, 2006

Makin' the Laws..... Makin' the Laws........

After my accident back in January there was a lot of press coverage. In one interview given by Fox 45 they interviewed Maryland State Delegate Luiz Simmons. In the interview he said that he was going to push for legislation that would stiffen the penalties for drivers caught driving without a license. Currently the fine is something like $300. He wants to stiffen the law and make it mandatory jail time. At the time of the interview I was drugged out of my gourd while recovering at Shock Trauma. When I got home I was told of the interview and tried to get in touch with Delegate Simmons. After giving up hope I was contacted last week and asked to speak in front of a Judiciary committee in Annapolis.

If all goes well tomorrow the committee will decide if the concept is a good idea and pass it on to the house where a bill will be created and voted on. At least that is my understanding. My 9th grade government classes just seem so long ago :).

If it happens will it stop everyone? No, I'd be a fool to even think that, but if it (and this sounds so cliche...) keeps one unlicensed idiot from grabbing a set of keys and causing an accident it is so worth it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home